Lead

Sep 8 14 1:57 AM

Tags : :

In relation to Kate Bush performing live for the first time in 35 years (I’m going to see her tomorrow and Wednesday), the other day I started thinking about her and Antony and I wanted to pour here my thoughts

I’ve discovered a lot of excellent music over the years following Antony’s taste, but in this case I’m a big fan of both artists but they come from different phases of my life, so I was amazed about the level of admiration these two artists profess each other.

In one interview (http://www.theguardian.com/music/2005/nov/19/popandrock1) Antony compared I Am a Bird Now with The Dreaming and in another one (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/sftw/2136664/Antony-and-the-Johnsons-star-hails-heartbreaker-Beyonce-Knowles.html) she compared The Crying Light with The Kick Inside and Lionheart. All of them have in common they are brilliant albums, although I must admit I don’t see the resemblance any obvious.

I do think that perhaps IABN and  The Dreaming are both really raw concept albums whereas Antony found the inspiration to the Orchestral Arrangements of TCL in the first Kate Bush albums.

The following step in my surprise was in a Book Store not so long ago when I started looking through a book titled something like “500 songs you must listen to before you die”. I started looking at whether I could find the songs from my favourite artists and I immediately found Hope There’s Someone. I started reading and I found the article started with a very lovely quotation (which I cannot recall right now) from the very Kate Bush, and there was when it all came full circle.

These days Kate Bush is doing her London residency (I will tell you all about it next week) and I think that, apart from the fact that Antony is a “live animal” (she loves and treasures the live experience) and Kate Bush has been a reclusive artist all these years, they both are excellent artists that inhabit similar and amazing worlds.

What do you think?

Ricardo