Remove this ad

Ricardo Babooshka

Lead

Mar 15 16 8:09 AM

Tags : :

As Anohni has explained, Drone Bomb Me is a song about a little girl in Afghanistan, whose whole family has been killed by an US drone. In the form of a love song, she asks the drone to kill her too.  

In this little essay I’m not going to analyse the song itself (Rosa has already splendidly done so in another post), but focus on its main character.  

This is not the first time Anohni clearly sings from the perspective of a little girl. Only to name a few, in Another World we witnessed a girl longing for a new world as the old one disappears. In Hope Mountain the Messiah returned, but only in the shape of a girl. In Forest of Love (from the You Are My Sister single), a little girl cried over her brother being taken away from her. The cover of John Lennon’s Imagine was sung from “the perspective of a girl in the future”, and Beyoncé’s Crazy in Love was undoubtedly sung as well from a female point of view. 

So we can venture to say that the little girl is the same in all these songs. We can establish a character.

First, a little girl is born within a cave in Afghanistan and welcomed into her family and in her village as the new Messiah. The first female Messiah, destined to great things (Look, Look in the water, Look who it is, It's just Jesus, This time she's a girl)

When she is five years old the war starts in her country. Her dear brother is called to serve as a soldier and she cries for him. She seeks refuge in a forest nearby, where she tries to sing her pain away and calls for her brother (I'm a girl, Five years old, God don't take my boy, Give him back, My brother, Murderer or beauty, Don't send him to the slaughter house, Don't send him into water snakes, He needs from the forest, The forest of love

She grows up and she is still a naïve a little girl, so she falls in love with a neighbour, and suffers from something she is not able to fully understand. (“The way that you know what I thought I knew, It's the beat my heart skips when I'm with you, But I still don't understand, Just how your love can do what no one else can”).  

She unceasingly keeps discovering the wonders of the natural world. But as she continues to do so and she grows up, she realizes the shape the planet is in because of human activity. She starts to understand her role as the Messiah. The purpose she’s there. But one day she feels her mission is too big to take on, and she starts dreaming of another world, and everything she is going to miss once she's not here (I'm gonna miss the birds, Singing all their songs, I'm gonna miss the wind, Been kissing me so long). 

One day the drones arrive. Her whole village is destroyed and her family with it. She stands amidst the wreckage. She’s the only survivor and starts dreaming that the drones would come back and take her with them too (Drone bomb me, Blow me from the mountains, And into the sea, Blow me from the side of the mountain, Blow my head off, Explode my crystal guts, Lay my purple on the grass

Maybe the drones grant her wish. Maybe not. Maybe she grows up and changes the world, dying at the age of 33. We don't know.

What we know is that long after she is dead (30th century or so), in this planet (if we’re lucky) or in another world, she reincarnates again, she comes back as another darling little girl. And the moment comes when this reincarnation starts remembering her past lives, thinking about them and singing a lament about what she suffered long ago (I imagine there's no countries, It wasn't hard to do, Nothing to kill or die for, And no religion too, Imagine all the people, Living life in peace).

------------

I hope you enjoy it

Last Edited By: Ricardo Babooshka Mar 15 16 10:32 AM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Rosa Blackstar

#1 [url]

Mar 15 16 6:51 PM

It's my turn now to thank you for this lovely text, Ricardo! It's so  creative and poetic... And it shows your great imagination, but it can also be completely real. I'm sure Anohni might agree with you if she gets to read this text. I think to analyze these Anohni's songs from this perspective is a great idea, and you could add many more songs. For the moment "4 Degrees" and "Drone Bomb Me" have turned us into a kind of beginning writers! 

I don't know if it's appropriate to add this here, but I must say that I also feel the contradiction between the horror of all wars and the beauty of this song. It's a bittersweet feeling to be enjoying and crying at the same time... If only a few hundred people around the world hear the message of these songs and change their world view, it will be worth it!

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help